The following is a notice from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services regarding their New Medicare Card campaign, originally released on January 26, 2018.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has kicked off the New Medicare Card campaign, designed to promote awareness to beneficiaries, their families, caregivers, and advocates. We also want to remind this audience to be wary of scam artists and provide tips for protecting themselves. We hope your organization will join in this effort.
What you need to know:
In April 2018, CMS will begin a year-long process of sending Medicare beneficiaries a New Medicare Card that will have a unique Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI), thereby removing the social security number from the Medicare card. Medicare will automatically mail the new card at no cost to the address on file with Social Security. There’s nothing Medicare beneficiaries need to do! If they need to update their official mailing address, they should contact Social Security Administration by visiting the online my Social Security account.
We have materials that you can order FREE of charge and FREE delivery. If you click on https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/New-Medicare-Card/Partners-and-Employers/Partners-and-employers.html you will see flyers in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Arabic and Korean that partners can download and print, or click on the link there that lets you ORDER these products.
What we are asking:
We ask your organization to do what it can to help inform and protect people with Medicare. CMS has provided new resources that you can use. Below are direct links to the new materials.
- Medicare.gov homepage updated with beneficiary-facing materials – blog and informational video; also introduced the new short URL go.medicare.gov/newcard.
- Medicare.gov updated with English and Spanish “10 things you need to know” fact sheets (Attached here as well)
- CMS.gov/newcard landing page revamped and links to:
- information about the geographic card mailing strategy
- the informational video is also available here
- New materials/resources posted on the partners & employers page, including:
- Beneficiary widgets (English and Spanish) (directing audiences to information on Medicare.gov)
- Social media toolkit – guide and downloadable graphics
- PSA scripts
- “10 things you need to know” fact sheets are also available here
- (and while you’re on this page, please take note of all the materials translated into different languages)
How you can help:
- Share the resources with your consumers, your colleagues, partners and community. Email this to your distribution lists!
- Display a poster
- Provide flyers at strategic locations in your office, center, at check-out locations
- Add Social Media Graphics – see toolkit above
- Add widget to your signature or website
- Use the Public Service Announcement (PSA) scripting for any newsletters, bulletins, or public service announcements
- Share the information at community meetings, staff meetings
If there is additional information you need, please feel free to contact [email protected]
Thank you for your partnership and all you do to serve and protect people with Medicare!