The Pennsylvania Department of Health (PADOH) released a health advisory on Wednesday, June 28, 2023. Below is a summary.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a Health Alert Network (HAN) Health Advisory to share information and notify clinicians, public health authorities, and the public about locally acquired malaria cases identified in the United States.
- CDC is collaborating with two U.S. state health departments (Florida and Texas) with ongoing investigations of locally acquired mosquito-transmitted Plasmodium vivax malaria cases.
- There is no evidence to suggest the cases in the two states are related.
- There is a concern for a potential rise in imported malaria cases associated with increased international travel in summer 2023.
- IV artesunate is the first line treatment for severe malaria in the U.S. and these current cases received treatment with IV artesunate and improved quickly. Providers should plan to have rapid access to IV artesunate.
- If you have any questions, please call DOH at 1-877-PA-HEALTH (1-877-724-3258) or your local health department.